Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sponge Ball Routine


My sponge ball routine has pretty much been the same for some time now. I am looking (as with many of my routines) to put in the necessary effort to make it more than just a standard trick. I'm not so satisfied with the whole procedure.

Here's how it goes:

Two balls are brought out. One ball goes in my hand and one in the spectators. My ball dissapears and reappears in their hand. I then "cut" one of the balls in half, now giving me three balls. I now go into the only one in the pocket, one in the hand, and one in the pocket bit. They are asked how many balls are in my hand? One? No, three. This is done again in slow motion. This usually gets some laughs. They guess one, and again there are three in the hand. This is done one more time and the hand ends up being empty! This is the standard bit, and as a whole the routine is pretty standard. There's not enough wow factor for the 'ball appearing in the spectators hand' part. And there is just an unsettled feeling that I have when performing this.

Which routine do you use/prefer/like? I am trying to construct my own routine but would like some insight as to some good bits and ideas.

Solomon

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps the problem is that you start with the strongest effect?

After the ball appears in "MY" hand it's all down hill.

How about?
1. A magical or amusing (or both) production of two balls, one at a time.
2. Something happens to the one of the two balls (a color change perhaps)

3. The balls change places

4. The balls both vanish and are reproduced.

5 one ball vanishes from YOUR hand but instead of the ball vanishing from your helpers hand they get your (different color) ball.

Complain that if they're going to do that you'll take your ball and go home...

Pout

Solomon said...

Right. I've known for a while that the routine I wanted to construct would have the ball appear in "your" hand at or towards the end of the trick.

What do you think of this?

1. Ball in introduced.

2. Ball disappears.

3. Ball reappears.

4. Ball is "ripped" in half.

5. A few gags...

6. Ball in my left fist joins ball in my right fist,

7. One ball is cut in half.

--

No here's where I would insert the two in the pocket, one in the hand bit. This way after all the balls seemingly disappear and they think nothing could top that or at least that the trick is over, I reach into my pocket taking out the three balls...

8. I put two balls in "your" hand and one ball in mine.

9. My ball vanishes and reappears in your hand.

See, I love this idea of a blog. It has already brought one of my routines on it's way.

Let's keep this sponge ball topic rolling!